Area Agency on Aging
Who We Are:
The Area Agency on Aging is the organization mandated under the provisions of the Older American’s Act of 1965 to work on behalf of older adults and their caregivers in Camden, Chowan, Currituck, Dare, Gates, Hyde, Pasquotank, Perquimans, Tyrrell and Washington Counties. It is the AAA’s mission to empower senior adults to enhance their quality of life through training, education, mediation, advocacy and coordination of services.
Services We Offer:
- Senior Nutrition– The Senior Nutrition Program promotes, maintains, and improves the health and well-being of older adults through the provision of a nutritionally balanced meal five days per week served in a congregate setting or delivered to the home. Services are available to persons 60 years of age and older and their spouses regardless of age.
- Long Term Care Ombudsman - The Ombudsman Program is an advocate for residents’ rights and is responsible for investigating complaints made by, or on behalf of, nursing and adult care home residents. Ombudsmen work with residents, family members, concerned citizens, facilities, and public or private agencies to enhance the quality of care and life for residents in long term care facilities.
- Family Caregiver Support Program- The National Family Caregiver Support Program was established to help family and informal caregivers care for their loved ones at home for as long as possible. FSCP helps caregivers by providing information to connect them with the right resources; counseling, support groups, and education; respite (short term relief); and short term or one time only services.
- Health Promotion and Disease Prevention - Community-based prevention programs support older adults in maintaining optimal physical, mental, and emotional health. The Health Promotion and Disease Prevention efforts are focused on partnering to deliver evidence-based health promotion programs; reducing the number of falls and fall related injuries; and self-management of chronic diseases.
- Albemarle Senior Games - The Albemarle Senior Games is sanctioned by the North Carolina Senior Games, which began in 1983 with a vision to create a year round health promotion and education program for adults 55 years of age and better. Each Spring participants can enjoy friendly competition with others in their own sex and age category in over 40 athletic events.
- Senior Tar Heel Legislature – The Senior Tar Heel Legislature was created to provide information to senior citizens on the legislative process and matters being considered by the North Carolina General Assembly; promote citizen involvement and advocacy concerning aging issues; and assess the legislative needs of older citizens by convening a forum modeled after the North Carolina General Assembly.