Volunteers Make Our Program Possible
Our home delivered meals program depends on volunteers to deliver the food to our clients. There is no money budgeted for delivery. At the present time we have about 615 volunteers. We deliver about 325 meals, 5 days a week. More help is needed! Our agency serves Camden, Chowan, Currituck, Dare, Gates, Hyde, Pasquotank, Perquimans, Tyrrell and Washington Counties. Volunteers are needed in each of these areas.
Your one hour allows you the opportunity to:
- Improve the senior’s health, by bringing a nutritious meal
- Bring comfort, by assuring them that someone will be by to check on them 5 days a week
- Make their day by sharing a kind word and a smile
- Remain in their own home longer.
Where else can you accomplish so much in one hour?
The volunteers pick up the packed meals around 11:00 to deliver to the homebound clients. Each route takes approximately an hour.
The volunteer is trained to:
- Handle food safely
- What to expect in dealing with the seniors
- To look for other needs that the client may have
- How to handle an emergency.
The volunteer may deliver once a month, weekly or whenever they have time available. Some businesses allow their employees to deliver during lunch hour. This is a great way to give back to the community.
How to Get Started
If you have one hour a month to share or have any questions, please contact Audrey Holland, Volunteer Administrator, at 252-426-7093 ext. 230.